After a long wait, AT&T has finally announced unlocking iPhones officially. The process is pretty simple and straightforward. You can avail this service only on iPhones that are off-contract and do not have any balance dues. If your iPhone is on contract with AT&T, then you may have to wait until the end of its contract period. Here are the steps you need to follow to unlock your iPhone that is off contract:
1. You need to file a request to AT&T to get your iPhone unlocked. To do this, login to your AT&T account and initiate a request with the customer service. For this, you need your iPhone’s IME number, which can be found in Settings ->General ->About page. Within a few hours, you will receive an email saying whether your iPhone is eligible for unlock or not.
2. If your iPhone is eligible for unlock, you will receive an email containing instructions to unlock your iPhone. The process is just restoring your iPhone to unlock it. You can also take a backup before restoring. After your phone is restored, you will get a message saying your iPhone has been unlocked.
If your iPhone is already jailbroken, then with the help of ever-popular RedSn0w, you can still unlock your iPhone the official way.
Unlock a jailbroken iPhone without losing its jailbreak:
If your iPhone is jailbroken, then merely following AT&T’s instruction will make you lose your jailbreak, all your third party apps and tweaks. To unlock a jailbroken iPhone, the process is almost same as mentioned above with the exception of using Redsn0w to unlock it.
1. You start by officially filing a request with AT&T for unlocking your iPhone.
2. After you receive the instructions from AT&T to unlock your iPhone, download RedSn0w 0.9.10b6 for windows.
3. Extract the downloaded RedSn0w zip file into a local folder and launch the RedSn0w application in administrator mode.
4. Select jailbreak button, and then plug in your iPhone to your computer and switch it off.
5. You will now have to put your iPhone in DFU mode, which can be done by pressing Home and Power button together for 3 seconds. Then, continue to hold only the Home button until Redsn0w detects the device. After it detects the device, your iPhone will reboot. At this stage Redsn0w will start preparing the jailbreak data.
6. In the next screen, you will be asked to select the jailbreak options. Now deselect the install Cydia option and choose the Deactivate option instead. Click the next button and wait for your iPhone to reboot. After your iPhone has rebooted, launch iTunes and you will see a message saying your phone has been unlocked.
If you want to unlock iPhones that are still on contract, then you can do it using Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM). SAM works by tricking iPhone’s activation server to think that the SIM card you use in your iPhone is the actual intended carrier. However, Apple has recently started to block SAM trick to unlock iPhones.
About the author: Kelly is a blogger by profession. She loves writing on technology and luxury. Beside this she is fond of gadgets. Recently an article on autism spectrum disorder attracted her attention. These days she is busy in writing an article on beyonce clothing line.